Raising Capital for Real Estate Investment Funds

2 Replies

Hey All!

I'm raising $6MM for my residential property fund and $12MM for my first mortgage fund.

My goal is to raise the capital over the next 6 months! 

I'm looking for strategies, tips, suggestions for raising capital! 

Little background on me - I've been raising capital for real estate and note investment funds for the past 5 years.

Started my career raising capital for a well respected, established real estate investment company in the Philly area. 

The President and CEO has a great reputation and track record. He is a national speaker, speaking at events and on podcast regularly. 

He got the phone ringing and I built rapport, closed the deals and managed the accounts.  

I was at the company for about 4.5 years and decided to leave to expand my professional experience and personal brand. 

I am now a co-owner and Vice President of Investor Relations for GSP REI. We are a real estate and note investment company based in the Philadelphia area that operates throughout the Mid Atlantic, Southeast and Mid West Regions. Our focus is currently acquiring, revitalizing, leasing and managing or reselling workforce and affordable housing units. My business partners have over 80 years of combined real estate and note investing experience in all aspects of the industry including financing, asset/construction/property management, rentals, rehabs, new construction, single family, multi family, commercial, mixed used, self storage, student housing, and real estate notes.

The purpose of this forum is to share how I've been raising capital and learn from you on how you raise capital!

Here are some of the things I've been doing....

1. Setting up events in the Philadelphia area. 
  2. Scheduling speaking engagements at real estate investment meetings. 
  3. Scheduling podcast and webinar appearances. 
  4. Connecting with local investors and real estate professionals I meet at events and around town. 
  5. Posting on BiggerPockets!
  6. I also plan to shoot video content and have been contemplating starting a podcast... what's your thoughts?

Please share what works for you - any and all strategies and suggestions are helpful!

Thank you!

@Peter Neill

Thanks for your introduction and overview. 

I'll start with your podcast question - it certainly helps to build credibility. I don't have one, but I've spoken to a number of folks that host podcasts and all of them confirmed how valuable it has become for them over time. So if you're in it for a long time, which sounds like you're, then go for it. I can even recommend a company that can help setting it all up for you in case you're looking for a full support. 

As far as your other questions, you're doing all the right things to attract capital. What I would re-review in your case is who you approach. If your deals are requiring a lot more than a couple of millions, then perhaps it's time to approach institutional money or HNW's?! The latter entails potentially switching your circles, maybe joining a country club and/or rotary clubs. If your partners have so much experience = track record, then it should be no problem to attract the right kind of capital to the deals assuming they are also attractive! 

Additional thoughts are in this post: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/86199-how-to-find-wealthy-investors

Feel free to PM if I can help further. 

@Alina Trigub

Thank you so much for the reply!

I definitely need to start a podcast. I keep hearing the same thing you said about building credibility and value.  

As for the people I approach, we're on the same page! My funds are structured as 506c's so investors need to be HNW/High Income Earners and provide documentation showing they are. 

Really great post share too, thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here