New footwear question

21 Replies

I gotta buy new work boots. What do you gentlemen and ladies recommend? I don't need steel toes, thankfully.

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader :

Been happy with Schmidt from Tractor Supply, but I know Red Wing gets a lot of love, as do Carhartt

My dad worked to overhaul the QA program at a tannery once. Everybody who worked there LOVED the soles on the Red Wings. Carhartt for me has always been coats, best work coat ever. Never tried the boots. Never bought anything Schmidt, either. Thanks, Nicky.

I personally prefer redwings but I wear work boots every single day. Im heavy on my feet & redwings seem to be the only boots that I buy that last at least a year. Carhartt, Carolinas, Wolverines are good for the price as well. 

I will never buy another pair of timberland boots ever again though. They're not built like they used to and when I had a pair fall apart in 2 months they refused to warranty it because I used them for construction. The manager at the timberland store actually told me that timberland pros were considered affordable fashion and not designed for construction use. 

@Jim K. Wolverines are reputable,

danners last for a while too. If your out in the woods or in yards/dirt, Whites boots will last your lifetime and you can rebuild them. I have a pair from 2007 and have beat the hell out of them. Got a cheap pair of Carhartt boots for 30 bucks a while back and they lasted 2 yrs doing HVAC installs on job sites. The soles cracked quickly, they weren't comfortable, they were inexpensive but I wouldn't buy them again. My wolverines are the 10" insulated steel toe boots are very comfortable and are holding up well. When summer comes around, Ill honestly just wear some comfy hiking/tennis shoes when doing work on job sites. Someone else mentioned Georgia boot company and their Romeos are amazing! Hope this helps.

I wear Georgia boots if I'm going to be on ladders a lot of the day. For tree work, I wear steel toe Schmidt boots (pull ons) and I have lace up logger boots with steel toes that I wear if I'm spike climbing trees. I don't wear those that much as I'm too old and fat to climb often these days.
I have been very disappointed with footwear from both Bass Pro and Cabelas. (now they're one and the same I guess) As I've had premature failures from their store brand footwear that they refused to warranty. I'll never buy another pair of shoes/boots from either of those places.

Thanks, guys. @George W.  The problems with the Timberland Pros are what really got me to start this thread. I've gone through two pairs of Tim Pro's Pit Boss boots in four years, and I'm not particularly hard on boots. My low-top Doc Martens shoes (summer wear) have lasted through that time easily. I grew up in Tims. They've really worked hard to ruin the brand.

I have been using Ariats lately and I am very hard on boots. I get 2+ years out of them but other stuff I am lucky to get one year. I cant say how good they are this year or last year because I am working on year 3 now. 

My dad bought red wing boots for over 40 years.  However they wouldn't last very long and would get wore out.  He switched to Thorogood and swears they are the best boot ever.  There was a mobile truck in town that measured his foot size and he says they are very comfortable compared to his red wings.

@Jim K.

I’d recommend Danner or Thorogood. Both have boots made in the US, and models that are resoleable and re craftable. They’ll last you years with good care. If you don’t need steel toe then there’s plenty options from both. I’d recommend the Danner Bull Run, or Thorogood Moc Toe.

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :

Down here in Texas a lot of guys (with a budget for it) like Lucchese and Tony Lama (for a JR Ewing look).

But Redwing seems to make some good lasting boots.

https://www.lucchese.com/

https://www.tonylama.com/

They are pretty, that's for sure. One of the concerns is the budget, though. It does not do for me to wear boots that are worth half a month's rent when I visit my tenants.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

I gotta buy new work boots. What do you gentlemen and ladies recommend? I don't need steel toes, thankfully.

Timberland PRO Pitboss steel toe. I know you don't need steel toes, but honestly having them is cheap insurance in case something falls on your foot. Or if you are like me, you kick things occasionally as part of the rehab/repair process, haha. 

Maybe they don't hold up like they used to. I have had one pair for ten years.

I started wearing Timberland when I painted houses in college. They are great ankle support, strong sole so standing on a latter for hours doesn't hurt, durable leather, comfortable, ok weight, slip resistant tread that is great for walking or roofs, thick sole so you don't get nails piercing, toe protection and under $90. Timberland has higher end boots that go up from there, which are even better. Higher end boots sub in lighter materials for the steel toe. 

@Jim K. Trail running shoes! Seriously, they are all I wore for the last 10 or so years that I was swinging a hammer. Less fatigue because they’re so light, great traction, and breatheable. Regular for the summertime and GoreTex for winter.

I am going to throw in the only female opinion, I work in Ariat Fatbaby most comfortable boot around and the sole is thick enough that I don't put a nail through my foot.  I also like that they are slip on and not lace up.  So all you female GC's out there check em out.

Originally posted by @Tamara Deering :

I am going to throw in the only female opinion, I work in Ariat Fatbaby most comfortable boot around and the sole is thick enough that I don't put a nail through my foot.  I also like that they are slip on and not lace up.  So all you female GC's out there check em out.

Thanks, Tamara. I was hoping a lady would check in. Because as far as I can tell, the work really has never cared who does it.

I actually had a JOB once & walked up/down/along a many catwalks & in a lot of 'what am I doing here' environments & the only boot I wore was by Dan Post. Most comfortable boot I have worn until I went to high end house slippers these days.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you