White Residue On Flooring Under Carpets

8 Replies

First time wanting to rip up some carpets and did a test in a closet corner. Has anyone experienced white residue under the carpet pad? It took some scrapping to even see if there was wood underneath.

Thanks in advance & hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

I've seen drywall dust/mud/primer etc left under carpeting just like your pic. 

Worst was old red stain splotches & the new carpet guys wouldn't tear it out claiming it was a crime scene hazard.

My guess would be overspray from the drywalling/priming/painting.  Typically that would all be done before the carpets were put down.  If it was was some type of growth, it would also be on the bottom of your carpet pad.  However, as you can see, that looks completely clean.

Another possibility is the powder "carpet fresh" stuff that people sprinkle on and the vacuum up. But since it's "under" the pad, that's probably not it. If it's drywall dust or spray primer/sealer (most likely) it's not an issue.

@Joseph Bieselin

Can you keep us updated on this, Joe? I have another idea of what it might be but it doesn't look right for that and there's no need to borrow trouble. Please tell us what it looks like as you get to the middle of the floor. I see you holding what looks like a wad of that stuff in your hand. I hope I'm wrong, but is it a sort of gauze-like substance with a cracking residue underneath that's both stapled and glued to the floor? In the photo it looks white. Is  there a chance it's actually more yellowish? Lastly, is it strip hardwood underneath or just a plywood subfloor?

Originally posted by @Joseph Bieselin :

First time wanting to rip up some carpets and did a test in a closet corner. Has anyone experienced white residue under the carpet pad? It took some scrapping to even see if there was wood underneath.

Thanks in advance & hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

Looks like "overspray" from the texture on the walls.

But it could be, Diatomaceous Earth which is tiny crushed up fossilized sea shells, called diatoms. It works by puncturing the fleas exoskeleton and absorbing lipids from their protective layer, causing them to dehydrate and die. Diatomaceous Earth was approved and registered by the Environmental Protection Agency and can be used to kill indoor and outdoor crawling
insects. Some people use it to kill fleas.

The residue was just some form of paint/primer/mud/texture from when the building was first built as a few people here mentioned.
fyi @Jim K.  and the white thing in my hand was just a paper towel as I was trying to rub some of it off to see if it came off easily or not.

Thanks again everyone for the responses!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you