Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Rosin
Votes |
How would you rehab this kitchen?

Phillip Rosin
Posted May 15 2020, 13:21

I just acquired two identical, side-by-side duplexes and am starting to plan out my rehab project. I'm starting my focus on one unit, to figure out what works and does not work, and will hopefully then apply all those lessons to the remaining units. The properties do not appear to have been updated since they were built in 1998 and also were not really maintained well. They are located in a blue collar, "B-minus?" area of Clearwater, FL. I currently only have a few pictures taken from a website as I'm in the process of getting some tenants out. Each unit is a 3/2, 1,100 sqft, with washer/dryer closet in the kitchen area. Expected rent around $1,500.00, once updated. 

Now, for the kitchen, I'm trying to walk the line and not over or under upgrade. 

Cabinets: My thoughts are to paint (white)/repair the cabinets, update hardware and add a cabinet over the sink. I have built custom cabinetry in the past and considered boxing in the area between the cabinets and ceiling and installing taller doors, to give a more premium look, but I'm unsure whether that effort would really pay off. Alternatively, I could add a small crown to the existing cabinets and then paint, giving it a more finished look for very cheap. I also considered boxing in the refrigerator, to give a more polished look. I'm not sure, again, if that would be worth it. Minimal effort / money (diy), but unsure. 

Appliances: Will evaluate for ability to clean up / functionality. I may go with a stainless or black package. One question is, for the stove top, should it be glass or coils? As nice as glass is, it is harder to maintain and more prone to damage and I'm not sure a tenant will care much one way or the other? 

Countertop: I can cheaply put in a nice laminate IKEA countertop, or I can go the level 1 granite route. I'm not sure which will give me the best ROI. There is not a lot of counter space, so I'm estimating around $150 for laminate (diy) and $1,000 for granite. I'm not sure how much more granite would get me in this scenario, if anything.

Sink: Not sure if I should re-use or replace. May depend on the countertop choice. Faucet will be updated with a pull down most likely. 

Lighting/Electrical: The main fixtures will be updated with something matching current style. Update receptacles to white. 

Backsplash: Probably a subway tile look, either real or stick-on.

Paint: I'm not sure what is going to match the tile and these pictures aren't the best. TBD

Laundry Closet: Should I add a bi-fold door here? I am thinking about adding additional storage in there, either shelves or cabinets, as well. There is not a lot of storage space in this kitchen. It's hard to see in the photos, but it's to the right when walking into the kitchen.

Note: I attached an additional photo that gave me some inspiration regarding closing in the refrigerator and color schemes / fixtures.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who have tackled similar projects. Which upgrades are worth it and which are not? Any suggestions I haven't thought of yet? Thank you!

Loading replies...