hold harmless agreement

6 Replies

I'm looking at a fixer upper with potential but seems like there's foundation problems, is there anyway I can search up the home and see if there's anything wrong with it? Or do I just hire a contractor to check it out?

Go with a pro. If you want them to take on risk, go seller financing where they get paid 90% of their proceeds on your sale instead of up front. Far easier just to have a pro look at it.

Originally posted by @J Ganda :

I'm looking at a fixer upper with potential but seems like there's foundation problems, is there anyway I can search up the home and see if there's anything wrong with it? Or do I just hire a contractor to check it out?

What most people dont realize is this. A masonry wall needs an expansion joint no more than 20 feet apart. Otherwise, it WILL crack. This is not all that hard a fix for a good to great mason. 

Now, for all you that dont realize this, When  you look at a house, measure the expansion joints. You dont need an inspector for this part. Put that as part of your analysis. Then go back to the seller and tell them it is not correct. EVEN IF IT DOESNT have a crack.   

If it does have a crack then you need to find out for sure if it is due to poorly planned expansion joints or a faulty slab. Most GC's dont make their masons do an expansion joint at all on residential. This can be a discount for nearly all of us. Learn the codes where you live and save a ton of money. Texas gets a bad wrap for poor slabs but often it is just the expansion joint that is at fault. A shady concrete guy will take your money if you offer it though. Other states are similar.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you