Length of time between direct mail letters ?

4 Replies

I have started a “driving for dollars” strategy. I built a spreadsheet to keep track of everything including when I mailed out my first round of letters. How long do I wait to send out a second letter? Thanks in advance.

You'll get different answers. I know someone that is a direct-mail expert that has been doing it for decades. She recommends sending them every two weeks for two months, then monthly for three months, then quarterly after that.

I don't know that there's a perfect answer, but I know she takes home over $1 million every year, consistently.

Originally posted by @Michael Previtera :

@Nathan G. Wow! That seems like a lot but who am I to argue with someone that makes a million dollars a year doing that. I will up my schedule because of what you said and go with something around once a month.

The bigger issue is consistency. Most people try direct mail for 3-6 months, don't get good results, so they give up. Talk to anyone that's done it successfully and they'll tell you it's important to keep mailing, no matter what. I heard one guy on BP talk about sending out a mailer one time and then he didn't hear from the owner until two years later. The guy had stuffed the mailer in a drawer and then found it as he was packing to move.

Consistency is key!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you