Mark Young
  • Homeowner
Votes |
Tin Roof Repair

Mark Young
  • Homeowner
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:55

Hey, folks.

Got a tin roof problem. So far, all I can find is folks who want to tear off my tin roof and box gutters, or who seem to want a lot of money for perhaps not so much professional work.

I'm looking at it and researching it, and I'm starting to think that I can do the darned repairs myself with the help of my wife and my carpenter cousin.

Then again, I could be wrong. Here's what I'm looking at:

10-12 squares of roof, 2/3 gable, 1/3 shed. All needs to be "painted"/sealed.

Most of the gable roof is in great shape, the shed roof has one bad spot, perhaps 18 in wide and 24 inches long, near the gutter. That'll need to be cut out and replaced.

2 Chimney's Flashings need work.

One 15' box gutter (simple not ornamented) needs to be at least partially rebuilt and probably relined with terne (or something) since it's leaning a bit and dumping water out of the wrong end. I can see that this gutter has been coated and lined so many times that the narrow end isn't enough to handle the water.

A short gutter on the rear of the gable roof needs to be rebuilt but it's easy and safe to get to and work on. It's also only about 7 feet long.

The front 17' gutter needs to be coated or relined, possibly with rubber or some other coating. Otherwise, it's sound and working well. I figured I'd run the rubber up under the tin to avoid ice dams.

15' of rake needs to be replaced.

I'm contemplating renting scaffolding for a month and just going to town, perhaps doing some molding/rake repair and painting, as well as a bit of pointing up while I'm up there.

Anyway, am I nuts to be thinking this way?

Anybody ever do this sort of thing? Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Ideas about replacing tin?

Thanks,
Mark

Loading replies...