WEEDS TALLER THAN PEOPLE! A Question on Clearing Land

8 Replies

Looking for suggestions... What's the best (most cost-effective) way to clear this land?  Land that has really tall weeds - too tall for a lawn mower...  I have bought some vacant properties lately and am not sure how to tame this jungle!  Thanks

That looks exactly what I need - Thanks!  What is a fair going rate for getting someone with one to clear some land?  Say 6-8 hours (a day's labor) plus using their own machine?  Are we talking like $400/day? $1,000/day? Just looking for a ballpark - obviously depends on location.  

I would GUESS, a thousand or even a little more if it will truly take 6-8 hours. During harvest season a grain cart/tractor combo with an operator can earn $200-$250/hr in the Midwest. 

BUT, since you would obviously time your clearing away from planting and harvesting, when a farmer might be bored. Or better yet, his kid might be home from school looking to earn some money. You probably have a range of $50-$100/hour for the equipment and another $25-$50 for the guy. So low end 6 x $75 high end 8 x $150. 

Try a local tractor dealer, they’ll know who has the equipment, how big a farm they have, (availability) and probably if they have spare workers/kids. They’ll also want to be hyper local as unless you find a guy doing it for a living (which you might also find.) they’re going to drive there at 15-20mph. So figure 10 mile radius. 

How big is the area? Iowa State puts out a custom labor rate and mowing CRP ground is what you should advertise your job as, should be between $30-45 per acre. Then I would as a local Ag retailer to come in and spray it with Grazon NXT. After that you will only have grass growing on it.

I hope that helps

Originally posted by @Dan L. :

Looking for suggestions... What's the best (most cost-effective) way to clear this land?  Land that has really tall weeds - too tall for a lawn mower...  I have bought some vacant properties lately and am not sure how to tame this jungle!  Thanks

Since you posted this in do it yourself forum I would rent a 50 horse tractor for 150 a day and do it myself. Besides, it is therapeutic. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you