Investments in Virginia

6 Replies

What's the best to invest in in VA? Land, homes or commerical? I was thinking of getting land and holding it if not in VA anywhere where land is best to have. I do wanna BRRR or another for for homes

Virginia is a big state with a lot of markets! The tough part with land is that it doesn't produce cash flow (barring any kind of natural resource angle). I always prefer commercial assets because your competition is other investors, whereas in single families through quads there's a lot of owner-occupant money driving those prices up.

@Taylor L. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a lot of land for sale around the NOVA area. I was thinking of buying land and putting up signs to get stuff built on it or buying land and building off of it on my own. Which do you think is best?

Originally posted by @Tremon P. :

@Taylor L. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a lot of land for sale around the NOVA area. I was thinking of buying land and putting up signs to get stuff built on it or buying land and building off of it on my own. Which do you think is best?

I think the best thing to do is to research raw land investing & land development so you know how to evaluate those deals. There are folks out there doing it successfully, but there are certainly others who have lost money on land in the past. So you need to know what you're doing! If it was a slam dunk way to make money then the current owners of the land would probably already have done it.

Northern Virginia appreciation is always a safe bet. The prices in fairfax area are always rising. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you