Screened in porch flooring help

4 Replies

Looking for help on my personal home. I have a beautiful screened in porch in Michigan. It has ugly carpet and stained. I am a decent tiler and can throw down LVP pretty easy.

Wondering if I have any worries about it holding up in our weather. It can get a little bit of rain and every now and then some snow.

Or for a couple hundred bucks and a half day work. Should I just do it and pray?

Thank you

@Derek Larson

I have not personally done it but have seen it at homes before. Just a quick look at Home Depot and they have a product line rated for outdoor (https://www.homedepot.com/p/De...). I would mainly want two things if doing this: waterproof not water resistant LVP, and something with UV protection so it doesn't fade ultra fast. There is also click-lock decking that I saw on Ask This Old House one time, that could be an option (https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lu...). Be sure to post some before and after photos!

@Derek Larson Part of the problem you will have is change in seasons will cause it to expand and contract. That is probably why the used carpet. What is under it now? Is it concrete? 

@Derek Larson

I'd go with tile. Use a highly modified mortar like Custom's Flexbond (you can get it at HD), lay the tile right over the slab if there are no cracks wider than 1/8 in. in it. It does great with outdoor tiling projects with limited exposure to the elements over here in western PA. You want PEI 5 impervious porcelain tile, and larger tiles with minimal grout lines are better than smaller tiles with more grout lines.

You should make sure the concrete is clean and then give it two coats of a paintable waterproofing membrane. It gets expensive, but Laticrete HydroBan is probably the best performer out there. Custom's RedGard (again, available at HD) will work, too.

When you lay this tile, take no shortcuts. Backbutter every tile, ensure 100% coverage, don't skimp on the expensive mortar.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you