luxury vinyl plank issues all seem to be improper installs?

4 Replies

Does anyone have solid core luxury vinyl plank that has held up for years in your rental without splitting at the seams?

From all the reviews I've read, it seems people are trying to lay this stuff over unlevel floors.

you can't lay this over ceramic tile if there's lippage. 

it appears no one uses self leveling underlayment before plank install either.

Has anyone here actually properly installed plank over a perfectly level floor... and still had issues?

What if you used a few drops of super glue while click locking the planks together?

I never use self leveler. Use LUAN board, sometimes two layers of it. The buckling people are seeing is usually from installing too tight to the wall. You need a gap at the walls. 

Originally posted by @Mike Franco :

Does anyone have solid core luxury vinyl plank that has held up for years in your rental without splitting at the seams?

From all the reviews I've read, it seems people are trying to lay this stuff over unlevel floors.

you can't lay this over ceramic tile if there's lippage. 

it appears no one uses self leveling underlayment before plank install either.

Has anyone here actually properly installed plank over a perfectly level floor... and still had issues?

What if you used a few drops of super glue while click locking the planks together?

Yes, I have done many commercial and residential jobs that have lasted for ten years or more. If your floor is level your tile is level. I have glued it and have used non glue type. I have used the same installer also for the same length of time so there is that. 

My first VLP job was my laundry room, it has been there about 7 years. I also have some bamboo click-lock I did in the kids bedrooms, it has been there about 8-9 years. My house is 1995 so fairly level. Used a denim underlayment on the bamboo and a roll-out membrane underlayment on the VLP. Have had no issues with splitting. Depending on your product, it will say how much deflection it will accept in the instructions/prep. It can also matter with respect to direction in terms of seams pulling apart. As mentioned by @Ronald Starusnak buckling is something more often caused by the inability for the floor to move - either not putting in expansion joints (so typing multiple rooms together) or being too close to walls. Unfortunately none of my rental property LVP is more than a few years old so I am waiting to see how it holds up over time. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you