Keely Aldinger
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Limiting Access to Doors and Security Lights/Cameras

Keely Aldinger
  • Boston, MA
Posted Sep 21 2021, 14:36

Question:
Do you use a smart lock to monitor access to shared spaces or utility areas of the property to avoid persistent use but allow access by tenants?

Background:

I am in Chelsea, MA and in the process of moving into the 3 family house we bought this summer. The basement is mostly empty and we would like to keep it that way. Since closing we have found a few items stashed down there that makes us think the teenagers who live in one of the units are accessing it. There has also been a few items and snow tires stored since then belonging to the parent of unit 1. Because of that and that we would like to store our tools there when we move in -- we would like to limit access -- though we are okay with the seasonal tires.

Unit 1 is the only unit whose circuit breaker is in the basement and therefore require access by law.
This is also the unit with the teenagers. Circuit breaker flipping is a rare occurrence and when I asked, my tenant can't remember an instance she has needed to do so. Still of course, we want to fully comply with the law for access.

Until we can get an electrician on site to relocate this panel upstairs in their unit, is there a keypad access lock that comes to mind that issues 1x use codes and provides a notification to me when it is used? This way I can provide the tenant 1-2 codes for single use, and send new codes in the event she needs to use them. Since they are single use codes rather than a blanket access code I don't have to worry about the code being shared with children or at least if they are shared and it becomes frequent I can question the tenant about the necessity. Ideally the lock would be wifi access or the bridging etc is easy. It seems like many smart locks have too many bells and whistles for this application.

Because the basement currently can be accessed by anyone -- I don't want to make any assumptions about who has left things hidden in my basement ceiling or who may or may not be trying to smoke in a basement with natural gas heating fixtures. I just want to stop it from happening and also be able to store our bikes and tools securely. 

Also planning to set up a camera in the basement. Potentially a temporary solution until I can discuss wiring for outdoor cameras and flood lights with electrician is the WYZE wireless battery operated cameras. But I'm open to other suggestions!

Tenants are inherited.
Basement is not needed for 2nd egress.

Thanks for any advice! 

Loading replies...