Interior Design School

4 Replies

Hello :)

Lately I have been considering going to Interior Design school to help me out with my future real estate investments. I've always loved designing and decorating, so it only feels natural to go to school for it. If you , or someone you know has done this , is there any good online schools? Is it worth it?

Originally posted by @Joanna Valdez :

Hello :)

Lately I have been considering going to Interior Design school to help me out with my future real estate investments. I've always loved designing and decorating, so it only feels natural to go to school for it. If you , or someone you know has done this , is there any good online schools? Is it worth it?

It is Not worth it if your goal is to be a real estate investor. Interior design school is a lot of fun though. My wife worked as a senior interior designer for a well known prestigious firm on the west coast. As such, when we started flipping, she over designed our flips. ;-) She was always disappointed that the budget just didn't allow for most of her selections on the first go around. But being professional, she knew we needed to keep the projects profitable. Reality (cost) always won out.

I would second @Mike Hern . I work with an investor that is an interior designer. Sometimes I will ask her questions on design, but the reality is, this isn't HGTV. You aren't custom designing flips every go around. That costs too much in time and money unless you are specializing in a niche (say luxury homes). You are going to settle on 1-3 design choices per room and just rinse and repeat so your contractors know the exact products and become masters at installing them perfectly and quickly. As you scale and being to do 3-4-5 flips at a time you can even then order bulk products during sales and store them so you can save money and make more on the back end. I know a local investor that will order 10-20 sets of appliances at black Friday sales every year for the follow years flips. Same thing in every house. 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

I guess maybe the "why" is off. Interior design school may at some point help you in an investment business but It's not the place to start if an investment business is the goal. Having said that, if you don't currently have any investments or money to buy investments, you have to make a living somehow,  and interior design school could be a way to earn a living--- JUST DON'T GO INTO DEBT to acquire the education. In this environment, there are plenty of job opportunities that would allow you to attend classes and pay-as-you-go and plenty of places in real estate where strong design skills would be an asset if not a primary requirement. (staging, property management, real estate sales, flipping) In flips and apartment remodels, I have found that often it doesn't cost anymore to make something look "outstanding" rather than "ok" just by choosing flooring and paint colors that ***really*** work together.

I would recommend working for a builder or construction company. I went to school for Architecture and after graduating went and worked in construction. I learned more about design, budget, schedules, and real estate working in construction than anyone would ever learn in 20 years in school. If I would of known that before going to college I think my path would have been very different. Best advice I have heard on this topic is, "Work to learn, not to earn." 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you