Adding gas meter to separate heat - Bronx MF

4 Replies

Hello,

I just purchased a 2 family house in the Bronx. It currently has one gas meter but electric is already divided between the 2 units. I would like to do the same for gas. I am getting a quote for approximately 10k. That includes a new boiler for the 2nd unit, 2 new water heaters, the plumbing for the split and the permits. In addition the architect needs to come up with plans, that is another 3K. Does this seem reasonable or am I being taken for a ride? 

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

@Raza Rizvi

Get more than 1 quote and compare. I always shoot for at least 3. It doesn't seem outrageous depending on size of boiler. A boiler can be 4 to 6k installed. 50 gallon hot water tank about 1200 each. And it really depends on how much re-piping needs to be done. 

@Raza Rizvi @Ceasar Rosas  

Just landed on this thread as I am researching ways to simply and effectively separate out heat in a 2 family house in Jersey City. What did you ultimately do? I have gas furnace, three water boilers (under one water meter), and three gas meters (one for each unit and for the house, which is gas). Tenants complaining about not being able to control heat. Any help is appreciated. 

Sounds like a decent bid actually if they are using good equipment. Just the material there could easily be over the 6-8k mark by the time you get all the pipes, boiler and water heater etc. NYC is a pain with gas work now so I'm actually surprised the bid wasn't more.

@Raza Rizvi good evening. I am in a similar situation with a property I am interested in Queens. It is a legal 2 fam but has only one electric meter, boiler and heat furnace. Were you able to add separate meters  so that you could bill tenants for their utility use? Thanks - Nima S.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you