Estimating rehab pricing on single family homes

2 Replies

Hi everyone,

Very new to BP and my partner and I are getting our finances together and strategizing to purchase our first property in early 2018. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone can point me in the direction of some good info on rehab and construction costs. I understand that each property is very different and regionally labor rates and costs can vary, but just looking for general info on estimating.  There may be some user error on my part in navigating the site as I'm still getting the hang of the forum, so if there is something obvious on BP there is a good chance I've missed it. 

We are really looking forward to getting more involved and learning as much as possible, thanks in advance for all the info that is shared on this site and hopefully answers to my request.

Best,

Adam

Adam.

I wish I could give you a good answer, but the best answer that you're going to get will be from a local contractor. I'd recommend reaching out to someone locally who knows the costs in your city. Reach out to them and walk through some deals with them. Then you'll begin to look at a house and already know what the costs will be. 

I would agree, and take it a step further and talk to a couple different contractors locally. Go look at some deals with them and get as much square foot pricing you can. Just make sure to give them a shot at doing the work when it comes time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you