Newbie REI looking for reputable contractors in Charlotte, NC

13 Replies

Hi All! I'm a new real estate investor and I recently relocated to Charlotte. Looking to rehab a single family home in the very near future.   Any recommendations for reliable, time-sensitive general contractors in the area? 

If not, any advice as to what not to and what to look for in a prospective contractor? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello @Cassandre Dunbar ,

I would honestly look on craigslist  for a contractor and ask them to provide photos of previous work. But with that still take precaution. Good Luck!

Hey @Cassandre Dunbar ,

I have a not tried the following services myself since I haven't had a need but I do expect to try them when the right situation comes up.

Check out Home Advisor (https://www.homeadvisor.com) and Thumbtack (https://www.thumbtack.com).  What's great about these services is not only do you get quotes back but then the contractors you are getting quotes from have ratings and reviews from other users.

That and whomever you go with make sure to check references and references of references on top of yelp/google/etc reviews.

Good luck!

I get good results from Thumbtack.  You get a lot of bidders to negotiate your price down.  You will only find reputable contractors by meeting many of them and interacting with them to see if you can trust them.  It's best to start engaging contractors when you have a project to negotiate.  Ask hard questions; challenge them.  See if they lie or deceive you.  Better to know before you hire them if possible.  Test your arguments and disagreements early before there's tons of money on the line.

Originally posted by @Ian McKeown :

I get good results from Thumbtack.  You get a lot of bidders to negotiate your price down.  You will only find reputable contractors by meeting many of them and interacting with them to see if you can trust them.  It's best to start engaging contractors when you have a project to negotiate.  Ask hard questions; challenge them.  See if they lie or deceive you.  Better to know before you hire them if possible.  Test your arguments and disagreements early before there's tons of money on the line.

Originally posted by @Ian McKeown :

Thanks Ian! That's great advice! I've browsed thumbtack for other services- i'll take a look for contractors now. 

Originally posted by @Josh Stack :

Hey @Cassandre Dunbar,

I have a not tried the following services myself since I haven't had a need but I do expect to try them when the right situation comes up.

Check out Home Advisor (https://www.homeadvisor.com) and Thumbtack (https://www.thumbtack.com).  What's great about these services is not only do you get quotes back but then the contractors you are getting quotes from have ratings and reviews from other users.

That and whomever you go with make sure to check references and references of references on top of yelp/google/etc reviews.

Good luck!

Thanks Josh! I'll take a look at home advisor- never heard of it before. But as a novice- i'm quickly learning that there's a TON of sites and resources that i'm not yet hip to. I've got a ton of learning to do. Thanks for the tips!

@Cassandre Dunbar , you need to connect with @Brent Zande with Slate Building Group. He's the best in the area at just that. He's fast, professional, and cost effective. You can't ask for more than that from a GC. He does tons of full-service rehabs a month for the "big guys". Let me know if you would like his contact info. He's fantastic and loves helping investors as he is also an investor. - Chris

Not sure if you need this service, but I recently started doing blind and window cleaning. I'll do it for little or nothing as long as you let me showcase before and after pictures of my work on my site. I'll PM you some information if you are interested.

Thank,

Z

My husband is a licensed GC who does a lot of work for investors and real estate agents. Inbox me and I will share his info with you.

Hi Cassandra,  Thanks for the recommendation Chris.  I would be happy to discuss your needs now and in the future.  We do about 40 rehabs a month for some of the private equity groups and we work with many small investors as well.  Be glad to help in any way we can. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here