Who do I contact about reconstruction?

2 Replies

Hello all,

I have a question, In the near future, I want to reconstruct a single family home into a Duplex or Triplex? 1. Who do I contact? 2. Is there a calculator online that I can use, So I can see how much it cost? Thank you.

You would start with the city or county where the property is located.  Specifically, the zoning department.  They can tell you if this is allowed or not.   If it is allowed, they can advise on requirements, such as setbacks (distances from building to property lines) and parking.  If its allowed, then you can start on coming up with a plan for the changes.  The city or county building department can advise you about what building codes apply.    For a big project like this, you probably want a general contractor to oversee the project.  They may be able to help you come up with plans, or you may need to hire an architect to create plans.  You then submit the plans to the city for approval.  For something like this, you probably need approvals and permits from both the building department and the zoning department.   Once your plans are approved you can start work.

There are tools that will estimate costs.  But they require detailed information about what you're going to do and thorough knowledge of construction to use.  Unless you're experienced, your best bet is to talk to contractors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.