What’s most important to remodel?

12 Replies

I’d like to start a discussion on what home buyers will look at first when buying a starter house.

What are the things you always remodel and put your budget towards first? The bathroom? The kitchen? The floors? Windows? The front of the house? etc etc etc... What always catches the buyers eye and is important to them?

How much do you usually pay for each thing? What is a must in your opinion? What isn’t important and you will leave as is?

Usually bathrooms and kitchens sell the house but your also want curb appeal. The front of the house is the first and last impression it gives.

@Yoni Ramras In order:

1. Exterior / curb appeal / roof

2. Kitchen 

3. Open floor plan

4. Baths

5. Beds

6. Family rooms

7. Basement / utilities / HVAC

The first thing I do is mechanical now this  will not be seen as a good pay back. But unsafe electrical, plumbing etc. is just an accident waiting to happen.

I then do the kitchen, bath etc., landscaping is big, first impression is real!!

I can’t tell what type of exterior that is from the picture but the curb appeal definitely needs work. Recommend tree removal maybe shrubs and mulch. I doubt that is siding so paint house make sure the trim is a different color to give a contrast. I don’t see a wow factor or pop if your looking to flip this

@Yoni Ramras   I agree with @Keyonte Summers on trimming the growth in front.  I'd expose the facade more.

I don't know what the homes look like around there.  Maybe bright yellow is popular, but I'd consider something more neutral like a gray.

Also look at seal coating the driveway and maybe stain the landscaping timbers.

PS - my wife says that my taste is all in my mouth, so take my thoughts with a large grain of salt!

I'm so glad you asked this question. I'm looking to sell my SFH and it needs to be updated, but I also don't want to spend money needlessly. Now I know that I'm on the right track with my plans. Thanks, @Yoni Ramras !

I’d definitely agree on curb appeal. Pull out all of that green and let’s see the house! Sherwin Williams Cityscape or similar gray would be perfect. I’d do a new front door, or appealing new color for sure. Ditch the trash cans and add a bench or flower pot - somewhere for the eyes to stop and be happy.

Kitchen
Baths
Flooring
Lighting can be a major factor if you choose one or two spaces to add an interest/wow factor
Of course, items such as plumbing or electrical that need updated for safety purposes are a given.

Best wishes on your endeavors!

Here is my list:

Paint (less than 2 per squarefoot for material + labor)

Flooring ($1 per squarefoot for new carpet, if you are selling instead of renting, laminate is abt 3 dollar per sqft, tiles is abt 4 per sqft)

Kitchen Counter, cabinets paint and cabinets handle. (Price varies). Surprisingly very a few buyer/renters notice if you put in nice cabinets, but countertops are very noticeable. Somehow cabinets handles can make old cabinets look great after it is being painted. 

@Helen Zhang , thanks for those tips!  I was looking at ripping out perfectly good cabinets because they looked dated.  I'll consider painting, changing the handles, and replacing the countertops instead.  You rock!

interesting that curb appeal is so high on the list. personally I'd want the interior to be in good shape first. the outside I could tailor to my own taste and colors

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.