• Calgary, Alberta
Votes |
Soundproofing a Basement Suite

Travis Hewlett
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Calgary, Alberta
Posted Oct 24 2017, 05:01

Hello BP,

I have a 1969 Bungalow with a basement suite downstairs. We are currently living upstairs and have tenants in the suite. The upstairs has original hardwood that I re-finished and oiled. The floor has been pretty quiet over the past few years but lately has started to squeak and is quite loud when you walk upstairs. We are looking to buy a new house hack and want to try and soundproof the floor as well as the ceiling in the suite before we move, to minimize sound and potential headaches with the future tenants. 

The basement suite's ceiling is spackle so it cannot easily be removed to add insulation or spray foam. There are sections of the ceiling that I could stuff insulation or soundproof materials along the joists, but i'm just wondering if anyone has any soundproofing suggestions to keep noise levels to a minimum between a main floor and a basement suite, as well as stop hardwood floors from squeaking? Can companies come in and drill small holes to spray insulation? Is spray foam insulation a good idea if in the future you may have to pull wires etc? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks and have a great day,

Travis

Loading replies...