Laminate Flooring... HELP

5 Replies

My rental was completely destroyed.  So far, over $20,000 in damage.  I have never felt this level of stress, stuck out of state in heavy heavy debt, homesick, waiting for contractors who do not show up.  Fine new ones, decided to install laminate floor.  I get totally lost in strange city an hour away from the house, desperately searching for the flooring store I had to go to three times because contractors were wrong on their math.  I find the store and they inform me that the floor which is now half laid should never have been laid without a water barrier.  Contractors say the pad I got is already enough , its water resistant.  Store says no, you need water resistant pad and a plastic sheet, a barrier between the floor and the pad.  They argue with the contractors who said they were just trying to upsell me, but it was only a $20 item.  I was so upset with them I fired them, and got a free roll of water barrier from sympathetic managers.  I bring it all home and contractors stayed to finish the job, just to be nice to me.  They said I didnt need the barrier because the pad is water resistant.  I argued the store point, and contractors said they would do whatever I want, and lay the barrier under the rest of the floor.  I am beat, I go take  a lunch break, and come back to find they put the barrier on top of the pad.  I lost it.  So, what are the consequences.  I dont really want to hear.  

My question is, what is the damage I can expect down the road from having it backwards?  The barrier was supposed to go under the pad.  Now the wood flooring panels are on top of the slippery plastic sheet that is the water barrier.

Is this a high moisture area like a basement floor or just a concrete slab in a relatively dry climate? If it's a slab then you are probably ok with the pad. I've had several laminate floors laid on slabs and the contractor didn't lay a vapor barrier and only one of them moved a little. If it's in a basement I wouldn't take this chance at all though.

Sounds like these contractors are the ones upcharging you. Can you make them go back and do it right?

Rob Drum, Real Estate Agent in AL (#112849)
205-253-8756

hmmmm...guess I might learn something in this thread...the padded underlayment I always use has a flap of plastic that overlaps with adhesive to the next strip of underlayment (approx 2 inches or so)....maybe not a PERFECT seal, but surely the contractors see this as sufficient.  My trouble has only really been tenants that mop really wet and let water stand.  Of course...I generally get the low cost stuff from Lowes.....SOOO........

Some of the underlayment pads are waterproof and some aren’t. The plastic water barrier is usually used for high moisture areas such as a basement or slab.  The pad should be fine unless it was in those areas. If the pad was water resistant you shouldn’t have any issues with the laminate or the fact that the plastic is on top

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.