Advise on recessed LED lighting for rental unit

3 Replies

Hello - I am a new investor that just acquired a 6-unit complex. The building came with 1 vacant 2B1B unit which we are remodeling. Someone suggested installing recessed LED lighting in the common areas (living room & kitchen), but I feel like the ROI on this wouldn't be that much higher. It would take my handyman an extra day to get everything wired properly. Keep in mind that the building is very well located near aerospace/tech companies so finding renters is not an issue.

Just wanted to get the forum's take on the adv/dis-adv of going with recessed LED lighting vs. simple LED ceiling fixtures.  Thanks! 

AY

@Antonio Yang   The recessed lights are much nicer than standard surface mount light fixtures.  Are you doing other high end finishes to maximize rent and class of tenant?  If so, I'd take the extra day and cost to get the lighting recessed.  If you are trying to get average rent and tenant class, it probably doesn't matter.

Do it. I suggest the type that are Can Trim LEDs that screw in like a bulb. They don’t burn out, if they are it’s cover by warranty usually, last forever.

@Matt Leonard That would be the only high end finish for the unit.  Everything else is simple/economical.  We are aiming for the average working professional so rent will hover around average market rate.  Thanks for the advise. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.