Cracks on outside wall

3 Replies

Dear All,

My new house is just built a month ago. I found some cracks horizontal and vertical on outside wall (please see pictures).

Could you please let me know, is it normal for the new house? Or is there something wrong with the foundation?

What should I do now?

Thank you,

Hoang

The one thing that is guaranteed in a foundation is that it will crack somewhere at some point. All concrete cracks because it continues to harden while hydrating needing to relieve itself somewhere. That is why they put tooled joints in sidewalks. They are only there to control the direction of cracking and conceal the location cracks. Generally speaking, I get concerned when I see a crack that it over a 1/4" in width, if there is water intrusion, or if there is excessive quantities of cracks. That little crack in your foundation (although hard to gauge the size in a photo) does not look very scary.

It appears your house has a stucco envelope. Stucco is applied over the sheathing or CMU wall substrate. But the first thing a stucco contractor does is apply a 'bond breaker' between the substrate walls and stucco scratch coat. This bond breaker is usually in the form of tar paper or a liquid applied weather barrier. The point is that the stucco should not be bonded to the wall below and having cracks from the structure transpose through the surface unless there is a very serious and noticeable sinking of your foundation. Stucco is a cement based product that, just like concrete, always cracks. Depending on how many layers your stucco coating system is, has a significant impact on how robust the installation will be. Same as concrete, if there large cracks, water intrusion, or excessive quantities of cracks, raise the question. If not, it is typical and should be expected.

Note: If both of these systems were applied in extremely hot weather, stucco or concrete, excessive dehydration could have occurred causing shrinkage cracking. Your contractor should be protecting the curing process from the elements and extreme temperatures as part of their job.

Originally posted by @Hoang Nguen :

Dear All,

My new house is just built a month ago. I found some cracks horizontal and vertical on outside wall (please see pictures).

Could you please let me know, is it normal for the new house? Or is there something wrong with the foundation?

What should I do now?

Thank you,

Hoang

Have you had your contractor check these out for you?  

Thanks Tyler!

Hi Antonie, 

I scheduled with my contractor to check it this weekend.

Thanks,

Hoang

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.