WHY CAN’T I FIND A CONTRACTOR!!!!!!!!

4 Replies

Hello. So I have a property I’m trying to flip but can’t seem to get past the hiring a contractor (or contractors) part. Is it that busy out there? Is this time of year more active than other times? I need someone who’s licensed and insured and able to look at what I think is fair and let me know if they can meet those numbers. Am I doing something wrong here?

Not to be assuming, but what “you think is fair” may be the issue. I do contracting, and the typical person has no idea of all the cost, and sometimes risk, associated with doing the work. Your local REIS members should have some recommendations.

I will second that , what you think is  " fair " is arbitrary . The job will cost what it cost . Professional contractors have costs that we assign to each part of a job .  And yes its busy in my area and guys I know out of state are busy also . So we are cherry picking our jobs . Priority one is always profit .  Be prepared to wait when you do find someone , and be real carefull if someone can start " next week ". 

My question would be  " Why would anyone buy a house to flip without already having contractors at their disposal ? " 

@Rashad S. Have you met with Contractors? If so have any of them supplied a bid? If so why have you not negotiated and hired one? Need more info on what roadblocks you are hitting. By the comment of "what you think is fair" sounds like you are looking for work done cheaper than it costs?

It’s crazy busy for us here in the Bay Area (CA). We have about 5-6 crews of 2-3 guys. And we have works lined up for the next 6-8 months.

So yeah, cherry picking is really what most of good/reliable contractors are doing right now.

I used to work on clients’ flips. The more successful guys would tell me: what does it take to keep you. They don’t ask: I have lower bids, can you match it/lower your bids. :)

Some of them do try to pick the lowest and cheapest bids. I didn’t stay with those very long :), because mine wasn’t the lowest.

I think one of the most important aspects of a successful flip is working with a good (technical) and dependable (timing/speed) contractor. Which again doesn’t come cheap! :).

Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here