Better long term value - Seed lawn or Turf?

11 Replies

When considering long term value, is my capital better spent on Seed lawn or turf? What is the current fashion, what are the average homeowners seeking in a lawn solution? I prefer seed, as the natural grass has such a lovely smell when cut, but after talking to some friends, I realize that that sentiment is certainly not universally shared!

When you say turf do you mean artificial? If so I would be all over grass seed except in high desert areas. If you are in West Virginia, you are not that far from me and artificial turf would not fly here unless it was some small specialty thing like a putting green.

I prefer zoysia grass as it tends to be less maintenance.

assuming you mean sod, sod is expensive to install although you have a lawn within a few days, it requires alot of maintenance, good fertlizeing schedule, irrigation is a must. if done right a lawn from seed can be just as successful as sod with less upfront costs, artificial turf very expensive upfront costs.

@Barbra Thebenyane Testament to Biggerpockets general usefulness is a thread like this; This is definitely the kind of site where you can ask any question and get an honest answer! 

I think if you are willing to bear the initial cost on your capital, Artificial turf is the best lawn solution, 0 maintenance cost, and requires no water 'cept the occasional hose down for cleaning (which is great for water restriction areas). Certainly beats seed in my opinion. 

Full disclosure: I hate mowing the lawn! I would definitely use my seed (Capital that is) to acquire artificial grass.

I think your capital is much more wisely spent on turf than seed. Future proof, people will prefer turf.

Zoysia grass is great, but it's a bit costly! Definitely worth the money if you want to go the natural route on this.

Hello,
I used Turf on my backyard due to easy maintenance and the California drought. I have had multiple party's, friends and family love it. It cost more up front but you don't have to worry about it dying. Also, you don't need to worry about a sprinkler system. They also have "recycled/refurbished" turf that goes for cheaper but never advertise it, got to ask around.
Good luck
Jesse

This is a VERY area specific question assuming you mean fake turf verse grass seed. Those out on the west coast seem to be pointing towards turf. Out this way I have never seen a property with fake turf.

If you mean sod verse seed, sod will cost more but give you a faster lawn. Seed will be cheaper but more work to get a nice green lawn grown. I have only used seed on bare dirt and had a nice lawn but it was watered multiple times a day and took a few weeks.

In California turf is usually preferred because of the drought and easy care. But other areas with plenty of rain probably feel differently.

@Barbra Thebenyane Welcome! We are considering Turf (artificial grass) for our front yard. Drought is one issue but also ease of care when leaves and other junk falls on yard. We are seeing it more and more in California. Looks green and lush all year. Just more clean look.

I am terrible for cutting my grass! Always forgetting, can never find a good gardener. For that reason I would go with turf.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.