Create an LLC BEFORE purchasing a Multi~Unit?

10 Replies

Is it wise to create an LLC before the purchase of a Multifamily property? Thoughts? Thanks in advance! $$$
Originally posted by @Daniel F. Harb :
Is it wise to create an LLC before the purchase of a Multifamily property?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! $$$

If it is over 5 units and you plan on financing it, then yes it will be a requirement 

When I purchased my last property my attorney created and quitclaimed the property into an LLC at the closing and only charged me a couple of hundred extra for the paperwork. I like to keep things simple.

Ah, duly noted. Thank you kindly, Brie. Would you suggest an LLC even if one had 2,3, or 4 units?

Thank you!

Thank you,  Dominic R.!

Best to you.  $$$

Originally posted by @Daniel F. Harb :

Ah, duly noted. Thank you kindly, Brie. Would you suggest an LLC even if one had 2,3, or 4 units?

Thank you!

Depends on how you plan on financing it. A residential loan with 30 year fixed will not allow you to buy it in a LLC, you can transfer it after but from my understanding that provides no liability protection as you have "pierced the veil" by buying it in your name, additionally the loan won't allow it and if they catch it then the due on sale clause will be triggered, making the entire loan balance due in 30 days. I'm told you can avoid this by transferring it back to your name. So it sounds like a lot of work with no benefit.

Maybe it's overkill but I keep my single family rentals in an LLC to shield my personal assets from legal action. Let's say someone does something stupid and falls from the roof or electrocutes himself duing some sort of unauthorized modification. Possibly a drunken fall off the deck. I don't want to take the chance with our court system siding with the other party out of pity and let them go after my personal property. I like the added layer of insurance for only a 150$ dollars a year

Thank you so much for your expertise, Brie. Really appreciate your time. I'm going to have to watch your podcast today in between patients. Hope the ER is slow!

Best to you!

Wow, I don't mind overkill for protection! I'll have to do my due diligence. Thank you, Dominic!

As Brie says you don't want to do anything to "pierce the veil" of the LLC so following the law is extremely important with a LLC.

Excellent. Thank you for your time and advice, Dominic. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.