Permit for new HVAC system?

9 Replies

I am new to flipping and need a new HVAC system. With the different quotes I am getting, I am also getting a mixture of weather a permit with the county is needed for this or not. This was a flooded house in Fulton County, Georgia. I have been doing most work myself. This is a house that has not been lived in for a while and the gas meter has even been pulled. 

thoughts?

HVac Systems installs always require a permit. In California you need a HERS report from a 3 third party too.

@Taye N. I am a HERS Rater here in California. You wouldn't believe the calls i get from homeowners after a remodel or addition that need to get verifications for insulation after cover up. There is not enough information given to howmeowners  or even contractors for that matter.

I live in Gwinnett and had one of my systems replaced this year by a licensed HVAC contractor, no permit was required.  Fulton may have different rules.  Much of this stuff is county specific around here.  Call the county

@Jane Blake Despite the earlier answer you received here, It is highly unlikely that HVAC work would not require a permit to be pulled. It may be that your contractor doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with the inspector but that doesn’t mean it isn’t required by law. Typically it is the town, not the county, that issues permits. A quick google search for your town shows that all of the necessary permit forms and fee schedules, including HVAC work, are listed there.

@Jane Blake   I do not specialize in Georgia properties but I can tell you, it sounds like you will need more than a simple unit replacement.  The gas or electric connections are the most likely part to need the permits and inspections.  The fact that the meter was pulled instead of the gas being simply turned off is a sign also.

@Jane Blake I have never had to permit a replacement HVAC system.  I'd get a couple of quotes from local small HVAC companies and let them take care of it.  I usually pay $3100-3400 for a complete replacement.  Good luck.

As long as your not changing the duct work you can say its an existing system and you wont need to pull a permit. I've flipped over 15 houses in the past year so i am very familiar with the Georgia code.  However if you change any of the gas line you will need to pull a permit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here