Quartz Countertop Issue

5 Replies

Hello, I recently had quartz countertops installed in my kitchen and are showing long streak marks along the perimeter of the piece. We tried soap and water but it doesn't remove it. Could this be a mark left by the fabricators tools used to cut the piece (it was a prefab piece but I'm still certain cuts were made)? My contractor initially after install said we can have those buffed out but now he is saying it's a manufacturers error and have to pay a specialized trade to fix it. My contractor also claimed that he went to the manufacturer and all their pieces in the color we bought had these markings but refused to rectify the situation. Whether this is true or not is undetermined. Prior to pick up of the tops I specifically requested my contractor to thoroughly check for any flaws, clearly he didn't if he is now claiming that all pieces had markings and were evident at that time. Can I hold my contractor liable for any of this? Especially for taking a product that he is claiming had known issues at the time of pickup?

@Gabriel Rocha Yep. Take photos of it. If it's under around $8k (this differs depending on your location) you can take them to small claims court. 

Or you could try to negotiate with the contractor and leverage the fact that you'd give them a bad review (on 

Angie's List, BBB, etc) if you have to go that route. Or have have an attorney (or Prepaid legal) fire off a letter to the contractor.

I'd also suggest personally contacting the manufacture first, so you can get the whole story.

Talk to an attorney, especially if you have a friend who is an attorney who will chat about it over a cup of coffee. Look you have a couple options none of them are great. I would contact the manufacturer and ensure you got the whole story, odds are you didn't. I have done plenty of kitchens and you are probably not going to able to "buff it out." So take the total cost of the counter tops add removal add new counter tops and new install and you have your loss. Now with that in mind try to go to your contractor and convince him to make it right. Even if you win in court you haven't really won anything, so your best option is to get the contractor to help you out. 

I have had surprising luck removing scuffs from quartz with, as silly as it sounds, a gum eraser. I had a artic white quartz countertop that had similar scuffs from the compression clamp they used to handle the stone and I simply erased them off. I went through two of those off yellowish-brown erasers but eventually, the scuffs were gone. If this works for you, what a headache avoided! If it doesn’t, sorry for wasting a $1.50 of your money and giving you some tennis elbow.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you