• Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Votes |
Tenant Requested Improvements

Ted Klein
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Posted Dec 10 2017, 01:19

I have an elderly tenant that has requested to have a walk in 4 piece shower kit installed and is willing to pay for the improvements. The unit has just had a remodel and is in new condition so it is just a matter of convienence.

I have agreed to allow the improvements under the condition that my contractor would do the installation. I have submitted three requests for quotes and am preparing to submit the quotes to the tenant for their review and approval. Not sure how much they were expecting to pay, but the quotes are between 3-4k for labor and materials.

I have a certain expectation on the quality of materials that will be used to ensure that the improvement fits within the existing quality of the unit and the materials included in the quote are near borderline to that expectation being a cheaper shower valve, a 4 piece shower kit over the existing 1 piece unit and a low cost shower door.

I am not a fan of the multi piece shower installation kits thinking they look cheap. Should I demand a higher quality shower kit or provide a quote with the installation being tile walls? Tile walls could end up looking bad if the cleaning is not adequate and since the existing 1 piece shower/tub surround is pretty much tenant proof and is in very good condition, I am somewhat hesitant to even proceed.

I might add, I am getting slightly above market rent and the tenant pays on time and has expressed an interest in staying as long as they can so I am thinking that if I allow the improvement, then the tenant becomes more invested in the unit and is more likely to stay.

What experiances do you have in situations like this and what advice can you provide? Providing that they approve one of the bids, are there any additional liabilities that I could be held to since they are paying for the improvements?

Loading replies...