Water Heater issues. Can gas service interruption cause damage?

2 Replies

Any water heater gurus out there? We're remodeling a unit after an eviction. Gas was off for a few weeks, and now that it's back on the water heater isn't working. For a while the pilot would stay lit until the unit heated water, and then go out. Now I can't get the pilot to light at all. It's a 2015 Rheem, internal thermo-coupler kind I believe, I can't access the thermo-coupler to clean it or anything. Is it possible that the gas service interruption caused a problem with the water heater? The tenant says it was working prior to the service interruption. The gas furnace located right next to the water heater is working fine so I don't think it's a supply issue. Hoping to avoid replacing a water heater that is less than 3 years old.  

@Steve K.

Not a guru, but have dealt with many a gas-fired heater and boiler.  Unless it became cold enough for the tank to freeze, having the gas service off for such a short period should have no detrimental impact.  From your description, it is possible the burner needs cleaned and serviced and stopping operations just allowed buildup to harden and/or break loose and become an obstruction - or a spider decided to make its home in burner {we had a furnace not relight as a result of this once} ... though at 2(ish) years of age, it shouldn't be that dirty.

While it is possible a sensor has failed prematurely, I'd start with a service.

Unlikley from my limited experience that a interruption would be the cause.

If your pilot will not light or stay lit it is very likely your thermo-coupler. If it has failed it will not allow the flow of gas and will need to be replaced if possible.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here