New Rental ideas (Rental proofing)

3 Replies

Hello, I’m new to BP and I’m in the process of buying my first investment property. And my question is “I’m looking to ways to make the property rental friend and make sure the house stays in good shape etc. flooring, cabinets and other applications. Any information will be greatly appreciated 

Allure floors, washable semi gloss paint but tenant screening is by far the most important. You can repaint a wall, but you can't fix an alcoholic tenant with a volatile temper and a habit of putting his fist through walls.

No carpet, simple appliances (refrigerator without automatic ice/water), water alarm next to hot water, washer and dryer

Welcome to the site @Keyoddie Walthall

As a property manager with a portfolio above $50M who has dealt with 1,000's of tenants over the years here are some things we do to our units to make them more "tenant friendly."

Whenever possible remove carpet & install vinyl allure flooring or refinish the hardwoods

• Remove all ceiling fans
  • Remove garbage disposals
  • Install non locking door handles
  • Replace wooden windows (think lead based paint issues)
  • Paint everything one neutral color (agreeable gray is the most popular right now)
  • Remove anything that hangs off the wall or has unnecessary moving parts (ex chandelier, wall mounted towel bars)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here