Searching for original blueprints for a house built in the 50's

4 Replies

I was driving around a neighborhood looking at a few listings and came upon a house that was unlike any other. It was down a side street off a middle-class neighborhood and just stuck out like a sore thumb (but in a good way). The home was architecturally stunning so I jotted down the address. When I got home I looked up the address and found that it once had belonged to one of the most well-known business men in the area. I was able to see that he purchased the land in 1955 but am now interested to see who he had design the home for him. Is information like this easily found? I'm assuming public records may have this somewhere but hoping someone has already fine tuned their detective skills and can provide some pointers.

I'm new to BP and was unsure where to post this so let me know if you have a better suggestion!

For this particular issue, you'll have to get in touch with people who issue construction permits and approve plans. If it's the city of Fayettleville, see: Fayetteviille permits

I'm in NYC, and I had violations issued that says "Building not in accordance to plans". So I have to have the plans pulled to see what it looks like originally. In NYC, it's the buildings dept, you go in, give them the address, and back then some years ago, they give you the actual paper file, but I have to leave my drivers license which they'll give back when I return the files.

So logically, if they have a department that issues permits and approve plans, they should have the original plans around somewhere. Now, I found for older stuff, it's still paper filed in folders, so someone on line at the office told me that I might have to make several trips to make the requests because of misfiling. So once, it took me three trips.

When you have the original blueprints, the architect name is usually on them.

Thanks @Frank Chin !  I'm going to try and stop by this week to see what they can find for me.

@Colin Gearity yes try the building department or the archives department and request them there. Some city/counties are getting all their older plans/records scanned in and on a hard drive. Some cities I can send an email request and get and email back within an hour with the plans or just look them up online with the address/tax or parcel ID. Good Luck!

Some cities you may need to look at microfilm archives of the plans if they have them. Good luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.