Touchpad entry door locks - opinions?

6 Replies

I have a friend who uses a Schlage touchpad entry door lock at their two properties with no issues. I was thinking of making the leap to one for my student rental (I'm always making sure a handful of people have entry door keys and this seems easier). The idea of no one getting locked out, etc is appealing. Which one do you use & how do you like it? Thanks!

For student rentals I thought of this but then I thought about them giving out the key code. A physical key they have to exert effort to give it to someone. For a single tenant place not such a problem to have a code given to a friend but multiple tenants I hesitate. i have experienced someone giving out codes though so i may be too cautious. I like the locks though.

I have the kwikset on my primary and sfr rental unit.  I like them but I would still care a key on me.  I have had where the lock jambed and needed the key though the batter was low and dying.  I can program several codes into the lock.  one for the renter and one for the service man.  Batteries last a good year.

I use them in places and it cuts lockout/lost key issues to zero. I'd probably use them everywhere already if they didn't cost $100+ each. 

Since each lock can hold several different codes each tenant has their own for common doors and that same one for their individual doors. When they move out I delete that code. I also program in my "master" code which works on all of them and maybe a couple throw-aways to give to vendors as needed. 

The downside - when the batteries get weak the "Schlage" button light is supposed to turn from green to red so you know the battery is dying. If you're not paying attention you better hope a tenant lets you know before it stops working. I also just had issues with two of them at my house where the battery drained down enough so I couldn't unlock the door but the light was still green. It's best to just put battery changes on an annual schedule. 

I got the Schlage touchpad lock and it has been working very well. Only took a little more time to install than a regular lock. The instructions were clear and it's easy to program codes into it. I recommend it if you are on the fence. Got it at Lowe's for $110.

@Grant Rothenburger , @Colleen F. - The one nice thing about my house is it isn't your typical student rental. It is not very close to the campus/bars/party & music scene with lots of friends stopping by daily. We're 1.5 miles from campus and most of my tenants over the years have been grad students or seniors who are very busy with work and school. They aren't super social and don't often have many pals swinging by. I know because I lived in one of the rooms for many years. 

My next step is to install one of those doorbell motion-sensor cameras that sends you snapshots of everyone approaching the door just in case that begins to become the situation. More important than that, it will give me an idea if the snow has been plowed in the driveway or if anything looks amiss in the front of the house without having to drive by. I'll be sure to post about it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.