Thinking about an ADU / Granny Flat / In-Law Suite?

2 Replies

As cities are starting to relax the regulations of ADU development a lot of homeowners (and investors) are thinking about ways to maximize their property investments. In doing research on this I realized there's not a ton of great info out there... Have you guys found any helpful websites with info?

Does anyone have a cash flow positive ADU story you want to share? I'd love to reach out and talk to some of you more in-depth and write an article interviewing you about your experience. I'm putting a blog together encouraging people to tackle ADU and granny flat development. I think they're amazing investments and good for cities and the environment!

I live in Bozeman, Montana.

It was my first ‘build’ with just a 500sq ft apartment shell. But it is a thing of beauty now! It rents for $1250 a month :) Pays won utilities (apart from water).

Granted I put more love into it, as I wanted a similar high end finish to our house. But fantastic learning experience and gave me tremendous confidence to put towards my next rehab.

Originally posted by @Caitlin Bigelow :

As cities are starting to relax the regulations of ADU development a lot of homeowners (and investors) are thinking about ways to maximize their property investments. In doing research on this I realized there's not a ton of great info out there... Have you guys found any helpful websites with info?

Does anyone have a cash flow positive ADU story you want to share? I'd love to reach out and talk to some of you more in-depth and write an article interviewing you about your experience. I'm putting a blog together encouraging people to tackle ADU and granny flat development. I think they're amazing investments and good for cities and the environment!

Good question, I'm interested to know too. I have a property I think is ideally setup for this. I'm more confident on the construction and zoning than the financing it. Each cities planning division will know the ins and outs in regards to can you do this. I setup an appointment, went in and asked. 

They were helpful in regards to setbacks, the additional requirements like parking, rental and occupancy rules. I left knowing my next move.

I'll keep you posted on my plans, rough ideas are for a detached 500-1000 sqft 1-2 level house next to my 1150 sqft single story home.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here