Massachusetts cost per sq/ft for skim coating and painting

5 Replies

Hey folks, I’m in the process of a DIY live in flip. I’ve already fully renovated one bedroom top to bottom. I still have about 700-1000 square feet of rooms with wallpaper that needs to be removed, repaired, skimmed and painted. I’m going to remove all the wallpaper myself at my own pace, in the process now, but I’ve got a lot of large wall cracks I want to make sure it’s done right and doesn’t resurface before I sell. I also realize that range is wide, which brings me to my questions. 

I have a lot of walls in my home, it’s not very open. When contractors ask how much square feet needs to be done what figure is that coming from, the square footage on the walls them selves or the size of the room itself?

I don’t want to skimp on quality, but what is a fair or expected range in the Stoughton area? (South of Boston) 

Any referrals would be appreciated also!

I think you might want to consider filling the cracks yourself. I am sure there are some great YouTube's for this knowledge. 

Also for the wallpaper, are you spraying or using steam? My recommendation is to spray. Wallpaper removal stinks but steam can damage the wall if its drywall. I just did a dentist office wallpaper job with my dad, took forever. Spray we used below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chomp-1-gal-WP-Environ...

Thanks @Matt Steele , I did decide to do this myself. Since I’ve already done a room in the past I’m familiar with the method, the decision came down to profit margin on the house. No need to pay ~$5k to have someone do the work I can do. 

I am steaming the wall, Chomp didn’t work too well for me the last go around. I forget what my wall material is, but it’s not standard drywall with paper. It’s old thick plasterboard which I’ve been told it’s worth it’s weight in gold. 

Thanks again for the feedback!

@Matt Charette Awesome glad to hear! 

Yea the Chomp isn't the best, there is another which I don't remember the name. You really need to soak  it with that stuff though. Like 2 times, scrape, soak, scrape, wash. It is BRUTAL. 

Enjoy!

If you have plaster underneath it is probably best to steam. You may have a rough coat plaster if it is an old house and always had wallpaper. To plaster the cost is per surface area A wall 10 high x 10 ft long is 100 feet x 4 walls 400 minus window area. Plastering is pricey and if it is rough coat you need to skim it all. Get some estimates. Drying is important so sometimes they turn the heat up to help.

Go buy some good drywall spreaders and tray . Practice and spread thin , multible times . It takes some practice . But you will get good after a while . Once you have it down sanding is minimal . Plus you will save a bundle . 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here