No structural warranty provided for new build

2 Replies

I am looking to purchase a rental duplex that was built at the end of 2016. It was built by an independent builder who does not provide a structural warranty. Should I look into taking out my own policy or is this that big of a deal?

No clue!  Haha - I've never heard of a structural warranty.

I'm an engineer and have done some professional engineering in the structural field.

My work is solid and non-negligent however I don't know what that even means - ie: a structural warranty.

Maybe some more specific questions would help you to feel more comfy about the decision to purchase:

• Soil quality / hardness etc.  Most shifting or settling has more to do with soil than it does with the design.
  • Are there plans available and do 'as builts' match plans for the place?

Warranties are only as good as the people that offer them have integrity and competence, and are still in business. Even many in business purposely keep a small amount in an LLC to protect against bigger claims etc. They can just get wiped out and start over. I'd be more interested in finding out the above questions to understand if the builder was competent.

Have the house inspected and decide whether the house was well built. Good houses have fewer problems than cheaply built houses (obvious - but something many people miss).

Even houses with 5/10 year warranties aren’t worth it if they are built cheaply. The builder may fix this or fix that, but no builder is going to rebuild anything significant.

But a good, well built house - and then that warranty is secondary.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.