Is having no tubs in a house a deal breaker ?

7 Replies

So the house I currently own has a tiny and ugly master bath and in order to get more space in the bathroom I wanted to do a stand up shower but that would leave no tub in house. I’m asking realtors in their experience has someone not bought a house because there were no tubs. I could see this being an issue if you have kids or maybe someone really enjoys taking a bath. Please give me your opinion! I do have a basement bathroom which is quite nice but it also has a stand up shower. I could potentially put a tub down there but I do not want to spend all this money. Thank you Ivy

You will extremely limit your potential buyers with no tub.   A master suite doesn't need a tub.  Typically you will find the main bathroom will have the tub.  I would make sure 1 bathroom in the house has a tub.

if you have only one bath room I think you want a tub combo..  although it really varies by person.

we are in the process of taking a tub out because the new buyer only wants a stand up shower :)

but that's ok in new construction.

I am renting a place w/ a "tub" but it's actually one of those elderly sit down tubs that is basically worthless to me. The other bathroom has a shower..... so we just use that. 

Now, I live in a high demand area, and my unit has other things that make up for the odd bathroom. 1 year later it's almost a deal breaker for me, more annoying then anything else. I guess what I am trying to say is you might have a little harder time renting it and probably higher turnover as people try it for a year and are over it...

My family would/could never have a house without a tub. I think anyone with younger kids will be removed from your pool of buyers.

The latest house i just bought for a rental doesnt have a tub , it has a handicap shower , it replaced the tub . My wife says someone with small kids wont rent it . And I said someone with out kids will 

Thank you all, I think it’s pretty clear I need a tub in this house because it is a very family friendly neighborhood.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.