Is having no tubs in a house a deal breaker ?

7 Replies

So the house I currently own has a tiny and ugly master bath and in order to get more space in the bathroom I wanted to do a stand up shower but that would leave no tub in house. I’m asking realtors in their experience has someone not bought a house because there were no tubs. I could see this being an issue if you have kids or maybe someone really enjoys taking a bath. Please give me your opinion! I do have a basement bathroom which is quite nice but it also has a stand up shower. I could potentially put a tub down there but I do not want to spend all this money. Thank you Ivy

You will extremely limit your potential buyers with no tub.   A master suite doesn't need a tub.  Typically you will find the main bathroom will have the tub.  I would make sure 1 bathroom in the house has a tub.

if you have only one bath room I think you want a tub combo..  although it really varies by person.

we are in the process of taking a tub out because the new buyer only wants a stand up shower :)

but that's ok in new construction.

I am renting a place w/ a "tub" but it's actually one of those elderly sit down tubs that is basically worthless to me. The other bathroom has a shower..... so we just use that. 

Now, I live in a high demand area, and my unit has other things that make up for the odd bathroom. 1 year later it's almost a deal breaker for me, more annoying then anything else. I guess what I am trying to say is you might have a little harder time renting it and probably higher turnover as people try it for a year and are over it...

My family would/could never have a house without a tub. I think anyone with younger kids will be removed from your pool of buyers.

The latest house i just bought for a rental doesnt have a tub , it has a handicap shower , it replaced the tub . My wife says someone with small kids wont rent it . And I said someone with out kids will 

Thank you all, I think it’s pretty clear I need a tub in this house because it is a very family friendly neighborhood.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.