Useless plumbing contractor

4 Replies

Does anyone have any suggestions? About 18 days ago I hired a plumber in the El Paso area (Chavez &sons plumbing) to do a job they said would take no more than 5 days. They asked for 50% up front and the rest when inspections have passed. Since they have only completed about 50% of the work and show up when ever they feel like it. They did leave a jack hammer which I am now using as collateral. Can I get my deposit back and hire someone else? Should I try to take them to court? I’m losing money by not going to work because I don’t trust them here alone and the utilities are still running so I need to pay for those too...

50% up front? That's steep. 

You can't get your money back, because it sounds like they've completed work equal to payments. Both are at 50%. 

Is your contractor licensed? If so, go to your licensing agency and file a complaint. They usually side with the consumer on issues. 

I would attempt to end the agreement with them. Have them sign something that they have been paid for their work so far and the relationship is being terminated. Then, hire a different contractor. You shouldn't be out any money, other than your lost income. 

Fire them and immediately get somebody else out there before the holding costs eat you alive. Getting your deposit back will be next to impossible. You said you paid 50% and they completed 50%.... even if you could win that argument, I guarantee the money is long gone. Ask other local investors for a good reliable guy- most are more than willing to share resources. I've also had decent luck finding guys on thumbtack.com ; worst guys I ever hired came from Craigslist ads, so be warned.

Thread carefully.   Consult another reputable plumbing co to help decide what your next steps should be In my opinion and/or low cost consult with attorney.  Concerned that they may/will file a mechanic lien on your property. Concerned that it may be ‘theft’ if you hold the jack hammer until that was written up in the contract.  My 2 cents

We just used Horizon Plumbing and reasonable price and quick service.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here