Re-zoning in order to build MFH

2 Replies

I own some property I would like to build either a triplex, duplex or 4 plex on. The land is currently zoned agri with plans for low density housing. The land has in a high growth area in Northwest Arkansas and has seen the frontage road go from a 2 lane road to a 4 lane road with nice wide sidewalks and planted trees. How difficult would it be for me to receive zoning to build my units?
Originally posted by @Jerry Hill :
I own some property I would like to build either a triplex, duplex or 4 plex on. The land is currently zoned agri with plans for low density housing. The land has in a high growth area in Northwest Arkansas and has seen the frontage road go from a 2 lane road to a 4 lane road with nice wide sidewalks and planted trees. How difficult would it be for me to receive zoning to build my units?

Jerry, the answer might well depend on which town you're talking about, and how that town defines 'low density housing.'  If you're referring to property in Fayetteville, I suggest starting with  Chapter 161 of the Fayetteville Code of Ordinances which describes the zoning classifications, many of which have been recently modified. 

Sorry, cannot help with zoning in other venues. If the land is out in the county, start with the courthouse and go from there. Otherwise, check the appropriate city council/planning commission department.

ETA: you might also find it helpful to check the town/community's master street plan or city plan.  That can be useful in showing planned growth areas, anticipated parks, bike trails, etc.--all of which might affect your plans. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here