Suggestions for best use of 64ft*42ft backyard of SFH

10 Replies

Hi Folks,

I am looking for suggestions on is there something I can do with the 64ft*42ft backyard of SFH in South Tampa ?Like build something /construction etc. The SFH is small is size compared to the total yard and the backyard is unused .It is a residential area so on all side we have houses . Maybe suggestions to better use the space and add additional value to the home. I currently own and live in the home.

I own the home and and live in the home.

@Krishnan T.

Ok. So I am going to ask you a round of questions to see where to go from there.

1. Are you married

2. Do you have any children?

3. Do you live with any member of your family or your wife's family?

4. How long do you plan on living in this home?

5. Do you plan on staying in your current area forever?

6. Do you move around a lot for your work?

7. Do you want to go into real estate investing? If so which one Buy and Hold, Wholesaling, Flipping?

@Brian Adzadi

Thanks for your attention..below are the answers:

1. Are you married - No

2. Do you have any children? -No

3. Do you live with any member of your family or your wife's family? -Yes, me and another person

4. How long do you plan on living in this home? -Dont know my future, but no reason to move. South Tampa /Tampa has great weather all year,great beaches and a it is a legit city with jobs.

5. Do you plan on staying in your current area forever? - Same as above, no reason to move away

6. Do you move around a lot for your work? -No

7. Do you want to go into real estate investing? If so which one Buy and Hold, Wholesaling, Flipping?-Buy and hold

My first instinct would be to add some sort of casita for rental income - bonus points if you have alley access. This would be allowed in my town - not sure about yours... 

@Teri S. Thanks for the suggestion ! sounds like a good idea.Where do you think I can start to find out more ?

Know what the zoning is for your house and then look up what's allowed within that zoning. Then jump over to the local bldg dept regulations to learn about set backs, etc. I assume you would need help with the actual construction so a good general contractor could probably answer a lot of this for you too. 

@Teri S. Thanks very much!, will go in that direction and see where it takes me.

That's a tiny amount of space- I wouldn't suggest a big investment, such as a casita or mother-in-law unit. Honestly, some foliage and a few basic chairs could create a peaceful outdoor space for very low investment- maybe wait on the building decision and have this in the meantime. 

@Skyler Holloway Possibly that might be the way to go...Just curious as to what options are available. Thanks for your inputs

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here