What is included in price/sq. ft.?

6 Replies

I'm considering building a home and would like to clarify what is included in the price/sq. ft., specifically, does it include the land?  

I know when you buy a home it does not include the land in the sq. ft. figure, but the reality is you are getting the land as well as a garage (possibly).  I'm interested in how it's calculated for a new build-  Thanks!

if getting quotes from builders or online estimates? No land included. Acting as the gc?

Around here about $90 to $100 a square depending on finishes and complexity of design, which would include driveway, septic system, and no landscaping

@Henley H.
Typically cost for house only, does not include land development costs, landscaping, driveway etc. it also does not include costs such as getting site plan approvals, architect or engineering fees

@Henley H.  There are many many variables in a price per square foot and it's best to know in great detail what you want/need so your contractor(s) can give you a more accurate estimate. However remember..  "garbage in, garbage out"

I posted this link (HERE) in a very similar post here on BP which may be very helpful: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/44/topics/544460-price-per-sq-ft-for-new-construction-in-the-sf-bay-area?highlight_post=3312981&page=1#p3312981

I absolutely HATE any cost/sq ft numbers. They are inaccurate, deceptive and completely misunderstood. If people ask me about this, I reply with “How much is a new car?”....it’s a terrible way to approach any new building setup.

Thanks so much for the responses and insights!

You won't know TRUE cost/SF until the project is built.

In our market, we use cost/SF as a back-end development metric. 

For instance, if we built it for $300/SF (all-in) and sell for $500/SF, we did something right.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.