Laminate or allure vinyl flooring

7 Replies

So guys I am looking for opinions about this topic. I am trying to determine what is the best options for a property with tenants/with pets and small kids. My concerns are around quality, durability and resale value. I have heard great things about the allure flooring,but I have also that it does scratch with pets and resale value is less. While the Laminate is highly scratch resistant and water resistant with good resale value it does have an issue with spills being left on the surface for a period of time.

Updated 4 months ago

Is anyone able to talk about the value difference that may exist between the two option when it comes time to sell.

@Tony Karns have you considered tile? I know in Florida tile is more acceptable than here in the Midwest. My father in law has a gorgeous condo by the ocean that is tile all the way through. If tile is acceptable, I would put a trendy, wood look a like tile in. 

I really enjoy LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank).  I recently laid Lowes "Shaw Resilient " series LVP and it was the easiest floor I've ever done.  It's thinner than the Allure, but it's just as durable and the floor blends into itself almost seamlessly.  It also lays over slight imperfections in the floor with easy and hasn't popped or shifted yet!  I'm VERY happy with it.

I just replaced my carpet with a vynil plank flooring called NUCORE. I purchased it at Floor & Decor. It’s 100% water proof. Scratch resistant and has the cork underpayment built in. It runs roughly $2.50 sq ft. It looks and feels like wood. Although, It does scratch if you really try to scratch it. Worth looking into. Best of luck.

Originally posted by @John Warren :

@Tony Karns have you considered tile? I know in Florida tile is more acceptable than here in the Midwest. My father in law has a gorgeous condo by the ocean that is tile all the way through. If tile is acceptable, I would put a trendy, wood look a like tile in. 

Hey John

So the property is in Dallas TX not Florida. I live in Florida, but invest out of state also. the property is a 2 story and I will put tile down stairs, but this  flooring question is for the upper floor.

Originally posted by @Tony Iaconelli :

I just replaced my carpet with a vynil plank flooring called NUCORE. I purchased it at Floor & Decor. It’s 100% water proof. Scratch resistant and has the cork underpayment built in. It runs roughly $2.50 sq ft. It looks and feels like wood. Although, It does scratch if you really try to scratch it. Worth looking into. Best of luck.

Hey Tony 

I would consider your flooring, but due to the price it would never work in a rental.

We use a full glue down laminate plank,  the Allures only have a glue edge which can come apart with moisture. 

Ive used the vinyl flooring from home depot once in the past. Looks good but does scratch really easy , i wont be using it again.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here