Separately Metering Irrigation to Reduce Sewer Bill

2 Replies

Hi, 

We're located in a duplex in South Florida and wondering if anyone has separately metered just their irrigation line to reduce the overall sewer bill.  I believe it's been done before but remember the cost to do so in some places can be very high.  Simply thought of it as an idea to reduce the bill. 

That being said, I'm guessing most people will tell me to contact the city and ask them.  Just wondering if it's common to do and time/effort.  Thanks much for any insight you can provide!

John 

Hey John,
Do you know how your sewer district calculates your rate? Every district is different. But most that use your water usage will use your wet weather usage to try and minimize any impact from irrigation. But I mostly look on the west coast so maybe it’s different. I would check how they calculate rates and if it’s possible. But off the top of my head I would think it’s not worth it.

Originally posted by @Matthew Copeland :

Hey John,
Do you know how your sewer district calculates your rate? Every district is different. But most that use your water usage will use your wet weather usage to try and minimize any impact from irrigation. But I mostly look on the west coast so maybe it’s different. I would check how they calculate rates and if it’s possible. But off the top of my head I would think it’s not worth it.

@matthew copeland I guess there's only one way to find out.  We'll probably call the city tomorrow to see what their answer is and determine best course of action. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.