Cat Odor in the house

7 Replies

My tenants had multiple pet cats which had left a real strong smell and  odor in the house. House has wooden floors on which i can see signs pee which has turned black over time. 

I plan to sell this house after repair, real estate agents tell me that it is impossible to remove the odor.

Andy suggestions to remove the odor would be really appreciated. 

Pull up and replace the damaged flooring. If the subfloor is damaged, mop with bleach mixture, cover with 2 coats of Kiltz and one coat of transparent sealer. Fresh wall paint wil help hide any remaining smell.

Someone on BP mentioned an Ozone generator. I Just bought one and plan to use it this weekend on my first project. I'll try to do a follow up if I could, but theres been great reviews regarding an ozone generator. I believe the previous owners to my property had a cat aswell and had a weird smell.

Following, I just put a house under contract, and the cat pee smell is so bad it makes your eyes water when you walk in. 

I dont know if I want to try Kilz, or just rip out the hardwoods and any subfloor and start over.

You should have told your agent you won’t sell until we can come up with a solution. I think she would magically become more helpful after that.

Also look into enzyme products then possible muriatic acid then kilz sealer

If you are doing this yourself or paying a handyman, this is the cheapest fix:

Remove as little of the hardwood as possible. No stink will stand up to the hardwood being sanded down, filled, sealed with oil-based polyurethane, and then refinished with another two coats. So that's what you do, refinish the hardwood, and it will look very nice.

On the other hand, if the hardwood was so damaged that the cat urine got into the subfloor, remove areas of irretrievably damaged hardwood and patch the flooring, and then break out the Kilz Complete. I have to respectfully disagree with @Pete Budagher and generally recommend the oil-based Complete over the water-based Max in unoccupied properties. The Max really comes into its own when you have to do this sort of thing in a small area of a hall or a closed-off room of an occupied property. The Complete reigns supreme as the stinkmaster world champion but the fumes are so bad that even if you wear a respirator with organic vapor cartridges it will attack your eyes.

If you're paying contractor prices to get this done sight unseen in KY or NC, rip out all the hardwoods, roll the Kilz Max all over the subfloor (they'll refuse to use the Complete, and probably gripe about the Max), and do the luxury vinyl plank thing. It'll look like the glorified vinyl linoleum flooring it is, but hey, that's the price you pay for hands-off real estate investing, and lots of people like plastic everything in their lives.

Ripping out a whole subfloor because of cat pee, as @Micah Mcarthur suggests, seems a bit much. Maybe if they ran an illegal no-kill cat shelter in the house. There are people that do that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you