Copper vs pex resale

9 Replies

First time home buyer in Southern California!! I have old 1954 galvanized plumbing and I am planning on doing a repipe. Just wondering if anyone has experience on whether copper or pex can affect resale value. Thanks!

It's not going to matter. I'm very much a copper fan myself when redoing bathrooms, mostly for any sort of complicated shower system. Never made a dime on my preference.

I've never heard of one being more valuable when it comes to resale, but I think you're less likely to have issues with pex. The only time I've ever had issues with plumbing was with copper piping because they can burst/kink/leak. I really love how flexible and versatile pex is and easy to make changes and repair if you're holding the property. 

We have a big problem with break ins on non occupied homes and the thieves stealing the copper for scrap. PEX is your best bet and should be less expensive to install and last longer. Just make sure your contractor is using good fittings.

I would go Pex.  Very easy to install and is used everywhere in Europe.  Make sure you get good fittings and go with copper bands rather than stainless steel.  Best pricing I have found is on Supplyhouse

Definitely go with PEX. Stay away from very cheap pex. Get a good brand. Nibco, Uponor, Viega Etc. Also PEX should make you more money cause its doing the same job with a faster & cheaper install. Copper is also very good as long as you can solder a good joint but a but more expensive if your re-roughing an entire house. Just stay away from CPVC that stuff is garbage.

As a licensed plumber I hate to say it, but pex is the way to go. That stuff has taken food of our trades table! It is possible for a handyman to install, and the material cost is nearly 1/3 of copper. One thing to keep in mind if installing yourself, would be to support the snot out of it. If you just leave runs flopping around walls and ceilings, you are asking for noise issues. Also for a cleaner finish, transition to copper at wall penetration. It is a much nicer look. I don't know where people are getting the myth that pex will not burst when the water freezes? Water is an anomaly when it comes to liquids, in that it expands rather than contracts when it freezes. It expand by volume at a rate of about 9%. Now pex will obviously have a little more flex in the pipe walls to counter this expansions, but at any of the joints it will crack!. Pex IS NOT a substitute for insulation/heat tracing in cold climates, in areas where plumbing is exposed to the elements. Best bet to prevent freezing is run plumbing supply lines in interior walls. If you need to run it on an exterior wall, insulation is required . Sorry for the long winded answer. Hope this will help somebody out there avoid some headaches

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you