First Deal! House Hack in Houston TX.

1 Reply

Hello all, My wife and I are super excited about our first venture into the FI/Real Estate investor world. We decided to sell our house and take the equity to purchase a live in flip. We have our work crew ready with a toddler and a new baby coming in September, good times. I have posted a few post with questions in the past and I’ve received excellent advice and feedback so far so I’m reaching out again. I don’t want to come off as selfish and ungrateful, I would love to assist anyone out there in any way. We plan on doing most of the work ourselves but we know some of the projects will require a professional. And I know with all the crews working on Harvey issues it’s tough locating GREAT subs. If anyone has any advice for a live in family flip or has any contacts for solid subs please share. As always I appreciate the help. Thank you rock stars

Hello Ted!  First of all, let me say that your wife is also interested in that.  The more units (1 to 4), the better.  Being in Houston could make it difficult to find more than 2 units under 1 roof.  Not living in Houston, knowing any local subs is hard for me.  One of the best ways to get good information is to call local General Contractors to ask for referrals or City Building Inspectors.  Another way is to go to local supplying stores and talk to those that show up early in the day.  Another source might be your neighbors o apartment managers.  You could ask the guys at the Home Depot Builders Desk for referrals they might know.

I hope you get several answers that will help you.  Who the hell am I and what do I know?  I'm 61 years old, born and raised in Dallas, Texas.  I have about 30 years of construction management experience and I had an active real estate broker license for about 30 years too.  Good luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you