• DFW, TX
Votes |
Advice needed - foundation failure?

Jordan Wilson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • DFW, TX
Posted Jun 21 2018, 22:15

I'm trying to help a friend with her house & am looking for advice to give her. She has 3 bids ($25k, $54k & $58k) from foundation contractors & was told she has complete failure. The house is about 2300sf, slab & built around 1960. The higher 2 bids included interior & exterior piers everywhere. The $25k bid includes exterior piers around the perimeter & 1000sf of polyurethane lift under much of the interior.  

I told her that I would call a structural engineer before making a decision. They had an engineer out when they first bought the property about 5 years ago & the engineer recommended a root barrier & gutters. My friend thinks this made the issue worse. 3 slab readings in 5 years plus all the normal signs in doors, windows, walls, floors indicate that it is getting worse. I think she's leaning toward Ram Jack (highest bid) because they seem to offer the most complete solution & best warranty. I wouldn't want to steer her away from the best solution, but $60k is a lot of money!...plus, there will be more repair required (sheetrock, paint, flooring, brick & mortar, etc) after the foundation is repaired. I don't know much about the polyurethane option, but she was told it can be pumped in from a room with carpet, which would save the hardwood floors that she paid $10k for. 

They bought the house for about $250k & the ARV would top out a little above $400k. I think I would go with the less expensive fix & then I might find another house, but I don't think she's interested in moving. Curious to hear what ya'll think of the poly option & what you might recommend. Any help is appreciated! Thx!

Loading replies...