Construction/Remodeling/Repair Original Building Plans

1 Reply

Hi all. Posted a different question about the same project earlier. It's a plumbing/electrical/remodeling project for a mixed use building in CA. The structural engineer is saying that the building's original architectural plans only show the first floor (it's a very old 2 story building and its the 2nd floor where we'll be doing most of the work), they're hand drawings with no dimension nor on correct scale. I personally haven't seen the microfiche film that these images are on. The engineer is proposing that we should have an as-built floor plan drawn up first and then he'll generate another proposal for the remodeling work as per our direction. I understand that the contractor can't put together a proposal without this. Does anyone suggest I go back to the City and complain that the plans weren't sufficient? Although, I have a feeling that that won't lead anywhere?

Never really had to do any work like this before on our building. Can anyone with experience doing this (engineer or contractor) confirm that this process sounds about right? Trying not to get ripped off.

This is the cost of doing business. The city will not be able to do anything in retrieving any more detailed drawings. This is common place for older buildings. You use what you have and proceed. 

It is not unheard of for an Architect/Engineer to have to make existing conditions drawings done prior to design occurring. It establishing the starting point. It's invaluable for you as the owner since you will have accurate drawings for your records. It's usually on the building owner to prove to the City/Municipality the existing conditions/use/etc.  @Kal Seirafi

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you