Warranty issue after closing

1 Reply

I have bought a house in March. The roof and two skylights were replaced before closing. Now it is leaking around the skylights. Can I go after that roofer for repair? I don’t have the contract or the warranty documents from seller unfortunately. Thanks!

Yes, but unless they are a big company, you’re probably not going to get very far.

In would start by contacting the seller and seeing if you can get the contractors name and docs. Let them know that you need some repairs done and would like to contact the same guy. (If you tell them it’s leaking, I’m sure they will ‘forget’ who did the work)

Give it a shot. Maybe they will stand behind their work. But many roofers don’t, and because it was done prior to closing, the seller probably chose the cheapest option.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you