Man hours estimate for gut job

7 Replies

I’m working on flipping a 1500 bungalow with a fully finished basement and was wondering how many man hours it would take to gut the place? I want to open up a kitchen, gut two bathrooms, get rid of a 35” x 35” closets, and open up the basement (where I have a couple of walls, floating ceiling and carpeted flooring). Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

@Alex Popescu , It really depends on your experience level, your toolbox and how many helpers you will employ. Based on your description it would take 1-1/2 days for 2 of my guys but we do this every day. For a DIY project I would estimate 60+mhrs

To give an estimate on the whole project, we would need a LOT more details. If you have it, we need every detail about the entire build with pictures. Everything the contractors get in order to give a bid, we would need to see. What might seem like small details like different trim or adding crown molding would double the time it takes to install it.

You could also load up their bids once you got them for us to review. If you're getting multiple quotes for each stage though, you will see what the average is and how high some guys will be. Also, make sure you have contracts! Do NOT do a handshake deal or T&M (time and materials) because a lot of guys turn into dairy farmers and in the end the cost is double what they said it would be and then they just look like the Olsen twin meme with their hands in the air like they didn't know.

@Alex Popescu we are about to start work on a flip and looking to hire out the demo as well (my GC husband has previously done it himself). Can I ask what you settled on as a price?  Are you paying for the job or paying hourly?  Thanks 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you