Can I make all the repairs to my rental?

4 Replies

Hello everyone! I’ve been binging everything BP for the past month and have a accumulated laundry list of questions to ask. My first questions is what repairs am I allowed to make to a property I just bought and plan to rent? I am assuming everything except gas but I am unsure and can’t find an answer on google. Also, do the rules change if I am living in one side and renting out the other? Do the rules also change if I am just an owner occupier with no tenant? Lastly, do the rules change if I am no longer living in the house and it is just the tenants? Thank you so much for you help! 

I don't know the answers but I do know it's state specific, so for the best answers, what state?

Its specific to your location.  You need to call the building department for the municipality where the property is located and talk to them.  You need to ask what work needs permits, and which permits you're allowed to pull.  Typically, though its highly variable, for a rental you could do cosmetic work (e.g., paint) but nothing that requires a permit.  Often, as a homeowner working on the property you occupy you have more flexibility and can do a home owner permit for almost anything.  But this stuff varies A LOT.

It depends on municipality. Some codes allow home owner occupants to do their own work. Others do not. general rule of thumb is that if you don't live there you need a licensed professional at least in my state. Especially if it is commercially zoned. Another food for thought is that if you do your own work and something goes wrong, your insurance might not cover it. I've heard of insurance companies refusing to pay out because a home owner did their own electric and burned the home down. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you